Betws RFC | 1st Team 12 - 28 Tumble RFC | 1st Team
Steven Anthony Hewitt
4 Conversion
Natha Willard
1 Try
Steffan Price
1 Try
Aled Price
2 Try

Match Report
14 December 2019 / Team News

Bonus point win on the road

The Magpies faced a tricky away trip on Saturday afternoon as they travelled to fifth placed Betws RFC who were one place below them in the league. Betws buoyed by the defeat of league leaders Trimsaran the week previous, started strongly and attacked Tumble causing a stern test for the defence.

Early play in the visitors half was stemmed by some strong defensive tackling of Ifan Samuel and fellow prop Kieran Richards. Betws pressed but couldn’t penetrate into the Magpies twenty two with a well organised defence marshalled by centre Owain Williams. Tumble, when they did get ball managed some incursions into opposition territory and runs by Nicky Allinson and full back Scott Jones showed promise.

With twenty minutes gone, the stalemate was broken when, with Betws attacking just outside the Magpies twenty two, a speculative pass from Betws was intercepted by wing Aled Price. Running like a scalded cat, Price outpaced the cover defence to run the length of the field for a try under the posts. Steve Hewitt added the conversion.

Flanker Tom Miles worked tirelessly and stepped several attacks with his resolute tackling, Co-flanker Darren Williams managed two turn overs and with Tumble gaining ground in Betws twenty two, a score seemed imminent. A charge by Gareth Beynon sucked in the defensive cover, and, when the ball was recycled, the astute Steve Hewitt’s cross field kick was dribbled by wing Price who crossed for his second score. The conversion added the extras and the Magpies had a healthy half time lead.

The second half saw the Magpies playing up the pronounced slope and they again defended well.  Scrums were solid and put the home side eight under pressure. Lineout were won through work by Lee Colling and the mountainous Gareth Beynon.

Just on the hour mark, a defensive mistake by the Magpies in their twenty two saw Betws rumble over for a try wide out which went unconverted. Tumble then bought on replacements to cover tired legs and wing James Carter looked sharp. With Iwan Morgan probing on the fringes and Mike Powell charging throughout with ball in hand, the Magpies looked comfortable with ten minutes remaining.

Five minutes normal time remained when Tumble got their third try when No. 8 Nathan Willard carried three men over the line for the score which Hewitt again converted. Tumble pressed for a fourth try for the bonus point and Carter went close as did the leggy Matthew Samuel. Pressing in Betws’ twenty two they spun the ball wide only for it to be lost and centre Aaron Evans hared away to score a converted try. Betws now sensed a losing bonus point with another score but it was not to be when, centre Steffan Price finished off a neat passage of play and Hewitt banged over the conversion. Two plays later the whistle went for no score and Tumble had recorded another win as well as an important bonus point.

Tumble’s man of the match .... Tom Miles for some ferocious tackling and ground covered as as a good flanker should and Nathan Willard who put in a typical hard working shift all afternoon from Number 8.

Special mention to young Youth team prop Rhys Tobias who made his first team debut off the bench. 

No fixture next weekend as we wait for the Christmas derby at home to Cefneithin RFC on Saturday, 28 December (kick-off 2.30pm). Its should be some game - come and support the boys.

Ymlaen Y Piod


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos