Tumble RFC | 1st Team 48 - 23 Laugharne RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Price
Try 2
Darren Williams
Try 1
Steven Anthony Hewitt
Conversion 3
Penalty 4
Try 1
Michael Edwards
Try 1
Rhys Lewis
Try 1
Matthew Tait
1 Try
1 Conversion
2 Penalty
Richie Waters
1 Try
Carl Smith
1 Try

Match Report
04 January 2020 / Team News

Emphatic win sees the Magpies fly

Tumble reached the quarter finals of the Specsavers Bowl with a well disciplined performance against an evenly matched Laugharne side.

From the outset Laugharne attacked Tumble wide and within two minutes were ahead with a well taken penalty from Tait. The restart allowed the Magpies the chance to pressurise Laugharne and they were kept pinned in their own twenty two. Tumble used quick ball gained from driving maul and, with backs handling, wing Mike Edwards race for the line, his inside pass saw Steve Hewitt on hand and he went over for a try which he converted after five minutes play. In true cup fashion, back came Laugharne and with eleven minut4s gone they retook the lead with a converted try following a chip over an onrushing Tumble defence.

Hewitt kicked two penalties in quick succession to restore Tumble’s lead and all this within the first eighteen minutes. Tumble’s back row worked tirelessly all afternoon and tackle all before them, good foraging work enabled Owen Davies the chance to break but the final pass didn’t go to hand with the line beaconing. Laugharne also squandered a three to one overlap and Hewitt tackled to save the try.

Tail kicked a penalty to level the scores but, with another break into the visitors twenty two, quick ball and secure hands saw Tumble rumble over the line and live wire hooker Rhys Lewis scored. Tumble then scored a sublime try on the stroke of half time, all backs handle, lithesome centre Rich Davies glided through a gap and, with support to hand Mike Edwards scored in the corner. This gave Tumble a 23-13 half time lead.

Ten points soon became a seventeen point lead when Tumble, following good linesout work from Ryan Lewis, took play some five metres out and with the warhorse Darren Williams sniffing at the line, he carried over two players for a converted try. Forty two minutes had elapsed.

Tumble’s backs looked really sharp and had effective lines of running,  captain Steffan Price found gaps with direct running and, with the mercurial Steve Hewitt orchestrating behind, further scores would be forthcoming. Unfortunately, it was Laugharne who scored next when they mauled over for an unconverted try.

Steve Hewitt steadied nerves with two penalties after forty seven and fifty two minutes play. On sixty minutes, Steffan Price’s run broke the cover defence and he left defenders in his wake for a score wide out. Fifteen minutes remained when Willard received a yellow card and Laugharne took advantage when Tumble’s defence was breached for second row Smith to score a try.

Tumble’s bench was strong and both Steve Rees and James Stephens added impetus to the forward effort. With Morgan Davies replacing Iwan Morgan, a new dimension of attack was found. Probing round the base of the scrum caused problems for the visitors and, with time running out, another mazy run by Price sealed the result when he scored wide out. Steve Hewitt added the extras to finish with a personal tally of twenty three points.

The final whistle sounded and a jubilant Tumble now look forward to a home quarter final against a strong high flying leaders of division three east central, Canton. 

Tumble's man of the match goes to Steffan Price for mazy running and good direction. Also worthy of kudos is Steve Hewitt who's performance was second to Price. Both reigned supreme today. 

The quarter final against Canton is on 11th January at Parc y Mynyddmawr ko. 2.00pm. Support the boys as they aim for a semi final berth in the competition. Your support does make a difference.




A copy of the matchday programme can be found at the following link:

Ymlaen Y Piod



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos